- Class: Bayfield - 36 ships of type C3-S-A2
- Displacement: 8,920 tons
- Dimensions: 465(wl) 492(oa) x 69.5 x 25.5 ft.
- Machinery: 1-shaft geared turbines, S.H.P. 8,500 = 18.0 knots
- Armament: 2-5"/38, 4-40mm A.A. guns
- Trrops: 1,502
- Complement: 587
- Builder: Western Pipe and Steel Co., San Francisco, California
- Laid Down: 14 Nov 1942
- Launched: 15 Feb 1943
- Commissioned: 22 Nov 1943
- Decommissioned: Jul 1968
- Notes: Built for the Maritime Commission as Sea Bass.
Transferred to the Navy 30 Jun 1943 and sent to New York for conversion and
commissioning. Served as flagship of R.Adm. D. P. Moon, CTF 125 (Utah Force)
during Normandy invasion, Jun 1944. Served as flagship of R.Adm. S. S. Lewis,
CTF 87 (Camel Force) in invasion of southern France, Aug 1944. Transferred to
Pacific and took part in invasions of Iwo Jima and Okinawa, 1945. Participated in
atomic tests at Bikini in 1946. Served in Korean conflict from Sep 1950 to
Mar 1952. Total of four battle stars for World War II and four battle stars for Korea.