R/V Neil Armstrong
2015(Rhenania Junior RJ-287)
- Class: Neil Armstrong -- 2 oceanographic research vessels of 2010
- Displacement: 3,347 tons
- Dimensions: 238' x 50' x 15'
- Machinery: 2 Siemens AC diesel-electric motors, = 12 knots
- Complement: 20 crew + 24 scientists
- Builder: Dakota Creek Industries, Anacortes, WA
- Laid down: 17 Aug 2012
- Launched: 22 Feb 2014
- Commissioned: 23 Sep 2015
- Notes: Built for the U.S. Navy Office of Naval Research, and operated by the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute. Sister ship Sally Ride (AGOR-28) will be operated by Scripps Institute of Oceanography. They are commercially designed monohull research vessels, capable of coastal and deep-ocean operations, and equipped with cranes and winches for over-the-side loading of research equipment and supplies. Both have state-of-the-art oceanographic equipment allowing deep-ocean mapping and information technology for ship monitoring and worldwide land-based communication.