U.S.S. Emory S. Land
2010(Rhenania Junior RJN-109)
- Class: Emory S. Land -- 3 submarine tenders of 1972-1977
- Displacement: 13,842 tons light / 22,650 tons full load
- Dimensions: 645'8" (oa) x 85' x 25'6"
- Machinery: 1 De Laval steam turbine, single shaft, 20,000 shp = 20 knots
- Cranes: one 30-ton + two 5-ton traveling
- Guns: 4-20mm cannon Mk 67; 2-40mm grenade launchers Mk 19
- Complement: 581
- Builder: Lockheed Shipbuilding and Construction, Seattle, WA
- Laid down: 2 Mar 1976
- Launched: 4 May 1977
- Commissioned: 7 Jul 1979
- Notes: One of only two tender-type ships in commission, Emory S. Land and sister Frank Cable are improved versions of the L. Y. Spear class submarine tenders, fitted specifically to support Los Angeles class attack submarines. Able to support up to four subs simultaneously, she was home-ported at La Maddalena, Sardinia, as part of the US Sixth Fleet, 1999-2007. Since 2010 she has been stationed at Diego Garcia. She has extensive maintenance shops, weapons and provisions storage, and provides medical services and accommodations. She also supports a variety of other ships.