- Class: Haruna -- 2 helicopter destroyers of 1970-71
- Displacement: 4,700 tons standard / 6,300 tons full load
- Dimensions: 501'11" x 57'5" x 16'8"
- Machinery: 2-shaft geared turbines, 2 boilers, 70,000shp = 32 knots
- Armament: 2-5in/54 (2x1), 2-20mm Mk 15 Phalanx CIWS (2x1), Mk 29 launcher for Sea Sparrow RIM-7 missiles (1x8)
- ASW weapons: 1 ASROC (1x8); 6-12.75in Mk 32 TT (2x3)
- Helicopter: 3 HSS-2B
- Complement: 340
- Builder: Mitsubishi, Nagasaki
- Keel Laid: 19 Mar 1970
- Launched: Dec 1971
- Commissioned: 22 Mar 1973
- Notes: Haruna and sister Hiei were first destroyer-size ships in world to carry three large ASW helicopters. The funnel is offset to port to provide extra hangar space for the third helicopter. Originally strong in ASW capability, but weak in AAW, they had Phalanx and Sea Sparrow added during FRAM refits in the later 1980s. The ships are used as flagships for escort flotillas.