- Class: U 31 - 4 'Type 212' submarines of 1998
- Displacement: 1,450 tons surfaced/1,830 tons submerged
- Dimensions: 183.4 x 23 x 19.7 ft.
- Machinery: 9-34 kw Siemens polymer electrolytic membrane fuel cells; 1-1040 kw diesel; Siemens Permasyn electric motor up to 2400 shp
- Speed: 12 knots surfaced /20 knots submerged
- Armament: 6-21" T.T.; 12 wire-guided torpedoes
- Complement: 27
- Builder: Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH, Kiel
- Keel Laid: Feb 2000
- Launched: 20 Mar 2002
- Commissioned: Mar 2004
- Notes; First of a class of submarines with air-independent propulsion, capable of up to 30 days continuous submerged operation. Two are also building for the Italian Navy at Fincantieri. An improved 'Type 214' has been ordered by Greece and South Korea. Shown with the 1,000 ton Dock 2, one of four assorted floating dry docks in Kriegsmarine service.