- Class: Buckley (TE) - 102 destroyer escorts of 1942-43
- Displacement: 1,400 tons light / 1,670 tons full load
- Dimensions: 300'(wl) 306'(oa) x 37' x 13'6"
- Machinery: 2-shaft turbo-electric drive, 12,000 SHP = 24 knots
- Armament: 3-3in/50 (3x1), 6-40mm (1x2+4x1), 10-20mm A.A. guns,
2 DCT, 8 DCP, 1 hedgehog
- Complement: 186
- Builder: Bethlehem Steel, Hingham
- Keel Laid: 21 Jul 1942
- Launched: 9 Jan 1943
- Commissioned: 30 Apr 1943
- Decommissioned: 3 Jul 1946
- Notes: Also known as the "long hull" or TE (Turbo Electric drive) class. A total of 154 were planned, of which 102 were completed for the U.S. Navy, 46 transferred to Great Britain, becoming part of the Royal Navy's Captain class, and 6 were converted to APD high-speed transports. Of the 102 completed as USN DEs, a further 37 were later converted to APDs. Originally carried a triple 21" TT mount aft of stack, but shown here in a late war modification with the TT replaced by four single 40mm AA mounts and the twin 40mm in lieu of original quad 1.1in mount in "X" position, plus an extra two 20mm on the fantail, a configuration used particularly for Atlantic and Mediterranean service.
- Service: Between Jul 1943 and Apr 1944, Buckley operated along the eastern seaboard as training ship for prospective officers and nucleus crews of other destroyer escorts. Joined hunter-killer task group TG 21.11 centered on escort carrier Block Island (CVE-21) to sweep the Mediterranean convoy route. On 6 May aircraft spotted German submarine U-66 nearby, which Buckley attacked, rammed, and was rammed by, leading to hand-to-hand combat on her foredeck. After 15 minutes the submarine drew astern and sank; 36 German survivors were rescued. Buckley received the Navy Unit Commendation for this action and commanding officer, LtCmdr Brent M. Abel was awarded the Navy Cross.
After repairs and refresher training, she returned to escort and patrol duties in the North Atlantic. On 26 Apr 1945 Buckley and Reuben James (DE-153) sank the German submarine U-879. In Jul 1945 she began conversion to a radar picket. Her designation was changed to DER-51 on 26 Apr 1949, and reverted to DE-51 on 29 Sep 1954. She was stricken in 1968 and sold for scrap in 1969. She received three battle stars for her WWII service.