- Class: Tennessee - 2 battleships of 1915
- Displacement: 37,000 tons
- Dimensions: 600(wl) 624(oa) x 114 x 30.5 ft.
- Machinery: 4-shaft turbo-electric drive, S.H.P. 30,000 = 21 knots
- Armor: belt 14 in., turrets 18 in.
- Armament: 12-14"/50 (4x3), 10-5"/51, 8-5"/25 A.A. guns
- Complement: 2,200
- Builder: Mare Island Navy Yard
- Keel Laid: 25 Oct 1916
- Launched: 20 Nov 1919
- Commissioned: 10 Aug 1921
- Notes: Appearance as at Pearl Harbor on 7 Dec 1941. California originally commissioned in 1921; as one of the newest battleships in the fleet, she had only minor antiaircraft upgrades in the interwar years. At Pearl Harbor she was hit by two bombs and two torpedoes and slowly settled to the harbor bottom. Raised by Mar 1942, California received a major rebuild as did her sister, Tennessee, with only minor differences in final light AA dispositions.
- Service: Pearl Harbor, Saipan, Guam, Leyte, Surigao Strait, Iwo Jima, Okinawa