- Class: Vulcan - 4 repair ships of 1939
- Displacement: 9,430 tons light / 17,000 tons full load
- Dimensions: 529'4" x 73'4" x 26'
- Machinery: 2-shaft geared turbines, S.H.P. 11,000 = 19 knots
- Armament: 4-5"/38 (4x1), 8-40mm (4x2), 24-20mm A.A. guns
- Complement: 1297
- Builder: New York Shipbuilding, Camden, NJ
- Laid down: 16 Dec 1939
- Launched: 14 Dec 1940
- Commissioned: 14 Jun 1941
- Decommissioned: 30 Sep 1991
- Notes: Sent to Reykjavik, Iceland, in Sep 1941, she patched destroyer USS Kearny (DD-432) after the latter was torpedoed by German submarine U-568 on 17 Oct 1941. Returned to Boston for refit in May 1942, then sent to Argentia and later to Hvalfjordur. Shifted to Oran in Jun 1943. Supported the landings in Southern France in Aug 1944. Returned to US in late 1944 and then to Pacific in early 1945, operating at Tulagi, Noumea, and Ulithi for the remainder of hostilities. Supported the occupation forces in Japan to Mar 1946, before returning to the US. Supported the Atlantic Fleet, home-ported at Norfolk, and at San Juan, Puerto Rico during the Cuban missile crisis and naval quarantine.