- Class: Bear - 1 ship of 1874
- Displacement: 1,280 tons
- Dimensions: 198 x 30 x 12 ft.
- Machinery: Alpha diesel; 1 shaft = knots
- Armament: machine guns
- Aircraft: J2F-1 Duck
- Complement: 51
- Builder: Alexander Stephen and Sons Ltd, Linthouse, Govan, Scotland
- Built: 1874
- Purchased: 28 Jan 1884
- Commissioned: 17 Mar 1884 / 11 Sep 1939
- Coast Guard Service: 1885 - 1929
- Decommissioned: Apr 1885 / 17 May 1944
- Notes: Screw steamer built as the sealing vessel Bear, of heavy oak construction powered by a 300hp reciprocating engine. Purchased by the US Navy and commissioned as USS Bear for use in the rescue of Lt. A. W. Greeley, USA, and his expedition, who were marooned in the Arctic. In company with Thetis, successfully rescued Greeley and six other survivors at Cape Sabine, 22 Jun 1884. Decommissioned and transferred 3 Mar 1885 to the US Revenue Cutter Service - later the US Coast Guard. Made some 34 voyages to Alaskan and Arctic waters. Decommissioned by the Coast Guard 3 May 1929 and sold to the City of Oakland in 1929 for use as a museum. Used by RAdm Richard E. Byrd during his Antarctic Expedition of 1933-35. Repurchased and recommissioned by US Navy and classified as miscellaneous auxiliary (AG-29) in 1939. Made two voyages to the Antarctic in 1939-40 and 1940-41, while still carrying barquentine rig. Refitted later in 1941 with sailing rig removed and provision for seaplane abaft mainmast. Refitted again in 1942 for service on the Northeast Greenland Ice Patrol in the configuration shown here. Decommissioned 1944; transferred to the Maritime Commission for disposal, 13 Feb 1948. Sold for commercial service and operated as Arctic Sealer from 1948-56, home-ported at Halifax, Canada. Resold 1962 for conversion to a floating museum and restaurant in Philadelphia, but foundered under tow off Chatham, MA, 19 Mar 1963 while on way to Philadelphia.