U.S.S. President Hayes
1943(Carlo Marquardt CMP-1094)
- Class: President Jackson - 7 transports of 1941
- Displacement: 9,255 tons
- Dimensions: 492 x 70 x 28 ft.
- Machinery: Steam turbines, single screw = 16 knots
- Armament: 4-3"/50 DP (4x1), 4-40mm AA (2x2), 14-20mm AA (14x1) guns
- Troops: 1,378
- Crew: 508
- Builder: Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Virginia
- Laid down: 26 Dec 1939
- Launched: 4 Oct 1940
- Completed: 20 Feb 1941
- Commissioned: 15 Dec 1941
- Decommissioned: 30 Jun 1949
- Service: One of seven combo liners (C3-P&C design) laid down in 1939-40 to Maritime Commission contracts for American President Lines around-the-world service. All were called to service as transports during World War II, with President Jackson serving as AP-37, and then APA-18. The others were President Monroe (AP-104), President Hayes (AP-39 later APA-20), President Garfield (renamed Thomas Jefferson prior to launching, AP-60 later APA-30), President Adams (AP-38 later APA-19), President Van Buren (renamed Thomas Stone AP-59 later APA-29) and President Polk (AP-103). Postwar, only President Monroe and President Polk were returned to APL. They made three-month circumnavigations from New York to Cristobal, Balboa, Acapulco, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Honolulu, Yokohama, Kobe, Hong Kong, Saigon, Singapore, Penang, Cochin, Bombay, Karachi, Port Suez, Port Said, Alexandria, Naples, Marseilles, Genoa, and Leghorn, before returning to New York. They would also make coastal swings to load additional cargo at Boston, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and Norfolk. They were withdrawn from service in 1965, with President Monroe sold to Greek buyers and renamed Marianna VI; scrapped in 1973. President Polk became the South American "cattle boat" Gaucho Martin Fierro and later the Greek-flagged Minotaurus.