1939(Saratoga Model Shipyard SMY-46)
- Class: Henderson - 1 transport of 1916
- Displacement: 12,400 tons full load
- Dimensions: 483 x 60 x 22 ft.
- Machinery: Steam turbines, twin screws, 4400 shp = 13.5 knots
- Armament: 6-5in/51, 2-3in/50
- Troops: 1,700
- Crew: 230
- Builder: Philadelphia Navy Yard, Philadelphia, PA
- Launched: 17 Jun 1916
- Commissioned: 24 May 1917
- Decommissioned: 13 Oct 1943
- Service: First purpose-built transport. Made eight passages to France during World War I, escaping German submarine attack 17 Oct 1917. Suffered fire in cargo hold 2 Jul 1918, with troops evacuated to escorting destroyers. Postwar made another eight passages bringing troops home. Served in Caribbean 1920-23, then carried President Warren G. Harding to Alaska in spring 1923. Stationed in the Pacific 1924-41. Participated in Fleet Problem 3 in early 1924, with mock amphibious invasion of Panama Canal Zone. Departed Pearl Harbor for San Francisco shortly before Japanese attack 7 Dec 1941, but on hearing of the attack changed course to Alaska while maintaining radio silence; believed lost, she returned safely to San Francisco. More than 20 wartime voyages to Hawaii and the South Pacific. Decommissioned for conversion to hospital ship USS Bountiful (AH-9).