- Class: Ranger - 1 aircraft carrier of 1929
- Displacement: 14,500 tons
- Dimensions: 728(wl) 769(oa) x 80 (109.5 max) x 19.75 ft.
- Machinery: 2-shaft geared turbines, S.H.P. 53,500 = 29.5 knots
- Armament: 8-5"/38 (8x1), 16-1.1" (4x4) A.A. guns
- Aircraft: 86
- Complement: 2,000
- Builder: Newport News
- Keel Laid: 26 Sep 1931
- Launched: 25 Feb 1933
- Commissioned: 4 Jun 1934
- Decommissioned: 18 Oct 1946
- Actions: Neutrality Patrol 1939-41; delivered 140 Army P-40 aircraft to Accra on two ferry missions in mid-1942; participated in N. Africa invasion Nov 1942 with her aircraft wrecking French destroyer leader Albatros and damaging cruiser Primaguet. Returned to US for overhaul, then made another ferry trip carrying Army P-40s to Africa in Feb 1943. Training duties until Aug when she sailed to join British Home Fleet. Raided German shipping in Norwegian waters Oct 1943 before returning to US for training duties starting in Jan 1944. After one more ferry trip to Africa carrying Army P-38s, she sailed to the Pacific in July 1944 to become a night training carrier based at Pearl Harbor and then back at San Diego to the end of the war. She received two battle stars for World War II service.
- VF-42: F4F Wildcat
- VB-42: SB2U Vindicator