- Class: I-16 Type C.1 - 5 submarines of 1937
- Displacement: 2,184 tons (surface) / 3,561 tons (submerged)
- Dimensions: 351 x 30 x 17.5 ft.
- Machinery: 2-shaft Diesel/Electric motors, H.P. 12,400/2,000 = 23.5/8 knots
- Armament: 1-5.5 in., 2-25 mm. A.A. (1x2) guns; 8-21 in. (bow) T.T. and 20 torpedoes; 1 midget submarine Type A
- Complement: 101
- Builder: Mitsubishi (Kobe)
- Launched: 28 Jul 1938
- Completed: 30 Mar 1940
- Notes: I-16, together with sisters I-18, I-20, I-22, and I-24, transported five Type A midget submarines for the attack on Pearl Harbor, 7 Dec 1941. Later had the (dubious) distinction of being sunk 19 May 1944 by DE USS England, the first of six submarines sunk by the latter in the course of 12 days.