- Class: Myoko - 4 ships of 1927-28
- Displacement: 13,380 tons
- Dimensions: 631 (pp) 661.75 (oa) x 68 x 20.75 ft.
- Machinery: 4-shaft geared turbines, S.H.P. 130,250 = 33.75 knots
- Armor: Inclined side armor 4 in., turrets 3 in., deck 2.5-5 in.
- Armament: 10-8 in. (5x2), 8-5 in. A.A. (4x2), 8-25 mm. A.A. (4x2) guns;
16-24 in. T.T. (4x4); 3 aircraft
- Complement: 773
- Builder: Kure Navy Yard
- Laid Down: 26 Nov 1924
- Launched: 15 Jun 1927
- Completed: 26 Nov 1928
- Service: Part of 5th Cruiser Division, covering South Philippines Force during the landings in those islands and the Dutch East Indies, Dec 1941-Feb 1942. Played an important role in the Battle of the Java Sea, helping sink the Dutch cruisers de Ruyter and Java, 27/28 Feb 1942. Then helped sink HMS
Exeter the next night, 1 Mar 1942. Fitted as Fleet flagship during Mar 1942 refit, assuming that role for 5th Fleet operating in the Aleutians. Participated in the Battle of the Komandorski Islands, 27 Mar 1943, against US cruisers Salt Lake City
and Richmond, sustaining slight damage. Covered evacuation of the Aleutians and remained in northern waters until Sep 1943. Part of the Second Striking Force under Shima attempting to penetrate Surigao Strait, during which she collided with Mogami, but she withdrew successfully. Finally sunk 5 Nov 1944 off Corregidor by aircraft from USS Lexington.