- Class: Furutaka - 2 ships of 1922
- Displacement: 9,150 tons
- Dimensions: 582.3 (pp) 602 (oa) x 55.5 x 18.5 ft.
- Machinery: 4-shaft geared turbines, S.H.P. 103,340 = 33 knots
- Armor: Inclined side armor 3 in., deck 2 in., turrets 5 in.
- Armament: 6-8 in. (3x2), 4-4.7 in. A.A. (4x1) guns; 8-24 in. T.T. (2x4); 2 aircraft
- Complement: 625
- Builder: Mitsubishi (Nagasaki)
- Laid Down: 5 Dec 1922
- Launched: 25 Feb 1925
- Completed: 31 Mar 1926
- Service: Part of 6th Cruiser Squadron in South Seas Force. Supported the second attack on Wake Island, 23 Dec 1941. Covered landings at Kavieng and Rabaul in Jan-Feb 1942. Later supported landings at Lae, Salamaua, Buka, Bougainville, the Shortlands and Manus. Participated in the Battle of the Coral Sea in May. At the Battle of Savo Island, during which three U.S. cruisers, Astoria, Quincy, Vincennes and Australian cruiser Canberra were sunk. Badly damaged by gunfire at the Battle of Cape Esperance, 11 Oct 1942, by U.S. cruisers San Francisco, Boise, Salt Lake City, and Helena. Finally sunk by torpedo from destroyer Duncan, which was herself badly damaged and sank early the next morning.