- Class: Aoba - 2 cruisers of 1924
- Displacement: 9,000 tons
- Dimensions: 584.5 (pp) 602.5 (oa) x 57.75 x 18.5 ft.
- Machinery: 4-shaft geared turbines, S.H.P. 108,000 = 33 knots
- Armor: Inclined side armor 3in, deck 2in, turrets 5in
- Armament: 6-8in (3x2), 4-4.7in AA (4x1), 51-25mm AA guns; 8-24in TT (2x4); 2 aircraft
- Complement: 773
- Builder: Mitsubishi (Nagasaki)
- Laid Down: 5 Dec 1922
- Launched: 25 Sep 1926
- Completed: 20 Sep 1927
- Service: At the Battle of Savo Island 9 Aug 1942, during which three US cruisers, Astoria, Quincy, Vincennes and Australian cruiser Canberra were sunk. Severely damaged 12 Oct 1942 off Guadalcanal and the after 8in turret was still inoperative when she was again damaged on 3 Apr 1943 by US air attack at Kavieng. After repair, the maximum speed was reduced to 30 knots; severely damaged 24 Oct 1944 in Manila Bay by US submarine Bream; attacked while under repair at Kure on 19 Mar and 25 Jul 1945, aircraft from US TF 38 inflicting further heavy damage. Finally settled on the bottom of Kure harbor on 28 Jul; broken up 1948.