- Class: Schiff 23
- Displacement: 4,778 tons
- Dimensions: 408 x 56 x 21 ft.
- Machinery: 1-shaft diesels, B.H.P. 3,750 = 14 knots
- Armament: 6-5.9 in., 2-37 mm. A.A., 4-20 mm. A.A. guns; 2-21 in. T.T.(submerged); 2 aircraft
- Complement: 324
- Builder: Germania Werft, Kiel
- Launched: 1936
- Notes: Built as Cairo for Atlas Levante Line. Sailed from Rotterdam 12 May 1942, the last German raider to depart. In a voyage of 139 days she sank four ships for a total of 29,046 tons. However, in her last engagement, 27 Sep 1942, the American Liberty Ship Stephen Hopkins, carrying only one 4 in. gun, fought so fiercely, that Stier caught fire, was abandoned, and sank along with her victim.