- Class: Shannon - 1 armoured cruiser of 1872
- Displacement: 5,670 tons
- Dimensions: 260 x 54 x 22 ft.
- Machinery: Laird compound HRCR steam engine, single shaft,
3370 IHP = 12.25 knots
- Sails: 2000 sq.m.
- Armor: Belt 6-9 in. over 10-13 in. wood backing; decks 1.5-3 in.;
- Armament: 2-10 in. muzzle-loading rifles, 7-9 in. muzzle-loading
rifles, 6-20 pdr. breach-loading rifles
- Complement: 452
- Builder: Pembroke Dockyard, Pembroke, England
- Laid Down: 29 Aug 1873
- Launched: 11 Nov 1875
- Completed: 17 Sep 1877
- Notes: First British armored cruiser. Intended for foreign service so built for economical use of coal and provided with sails. Rather weakly protected and armed, and too slow for the purpose.
- Service: Spent some months on the China Station and two years in the Pacific. Coastguard duty from 1883. To reserve 1893. Sold 1899.