- Class: Gloire - 3 broadside ironclads of 1858
- Displacement: 5,630 tons
- Dimensions: 256 x 56 x 28 ft.
- Machinery: Horizontal return connecting rod steam engine, 1 shaft, 2500 ihp = 13 knots
- Sail area: 11,800 sq.ft. barquentine rig
- Armor: Wrought iron over wood. Belt 4.5 in., C.T. 4 in.
- Armament: 36-6.4 in. rifled muzzle loaders
- Complement: 570
- Builder: Marine Arsenal, Toulon
- Laid Down: Mar 1858
- Launched: 24 Nov 1859
- Completed: Aug 1860
- Notes: First armored battleship in the world. Designed by Dupuy de Lome. Armament altered several times; in 1865 had 16-6.4 in. breech loaders and 12-55 pdr. smooth bores with 4-8.8 in. howitzers on the upper deck. In 1868 this was upgraded to 6-9.4 in. and 2-6.4 in. Stricken 1879. Sister ships Invincible and Normandie lasted only ten years due to unsound timbers.