1938(Carlo Marquardt CM-228)
- Type: Passenger
- Displacement: 21,936 tons
- Dimensions: 654 x 81 x 32 ft.
- Machinery: Steam turboelectric engines, twin screw = 20 knots
- Passengers: 990 (307 first class, 133 tourist class, 170 third class, 380 steerage)
- Crew: 385
- Builder: Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Newport News, Virginia, 1931
- Service: Built for Dollar Line (U.S. flag). San Francisco-Far East service. On 6 Mar 1937 she rammed and sank the tanker Frank H. Buck near San Francisco's Golden Gate. Transferred to American President Lines, 1938. Became a troopship, 1941. Struck US mines while entering harbor at Espiritu Santo, 26 Oct 1942. Attempt to beach failed when she struck a reef, capsized and sank; 3 lost but over 5400 survived. Her wreck is one of the premier dive sites in the world.