City of Benares
- Type: Passenger / general cargo
- Displacement: 11,081 tons
- Dimensions: 509 x 62.75 x 28.5 ft.
- Machinery: Steam turbines, single screw = 16 knots
- Passengers: 219 (single class)
- Crew: 209
- Builder: Barclay, Curle & Co., Ltd., Glasgow, Scotland 1936
- Service: Built for Ellermann Lines (Glasgow) England-India route. Torpedoed and
sunk by U-48 on 17 Sep 1940, while carrying evacuee children to Canada.
A total of 258 out of 408 passengers and crew were lost, including 77 out of 90 children.
This tragic loss caused the British government to terminate its child evacuation program.