- Type: Passenger / general cargo
- Displacement: 6,267 tons
- Dimensions: 412 x 58 x 23 ft.
- Machinery: Motor vessel, twin screws = 15 knots
- Passengers: 239 (223 first class, 16 second class)
- Builder: Barclay Curle, Glasgow, Scotland 1938
- Service: Built for Burns Philp & Co., under contract to the Australian Commonwealth
Government for the mail steamer service between Australia, Papua, New Guinea, the Solomon
Islands, New Hebrides, Norfolk, and Lord Howe Islands. Commenced trade in Nov 1938,
completing eight trips before being taken over by British Ministry of War Transport, Sep 1939.
Conversion to Armed Merchant Cruiser with seven 6" and two 3" A.A. guns completed Jan 1940.
Sailed as part of Freetown Convoy Escort Group on escort duties between America, South
Africa, and Britain. Taken in hand for conversion to Landing Ship Headquarters (LSH)
Apr 1942. Flagship of Adm. Sir Harold M. Burrough, Commander Eastern Naval Task
Force during North African landings at Algiers, Nov 1942. Flagship of R.Adm. Thomas
Troubridge, Force "A", lifting British XIII Corps to Sicilian landings in Gulf of Noto, Jul 1943,
and for Task Force "Peter" embarking British 1st Division to Anzio, Jan 1944. Flagship of
Com. Douglas-Pennant, Naval Commander for Force "G", lifting British 50th Division to Gold
Beach, Normandy, Jun 1944. Hit by bomb 7 Jun, but only minor damage. Flagship of R.Adm.
B.C.S. Martin, Force "W", off Malaya, used as ship for Japanese surrender at Singapore,
Sep 1945. Returned to commercial service after war. Eventually scrapped 1968 in Taiwan